Sharing with you some personal recipes that will often be found on Chumie's Shabbos table!
- Combine the 4 1/2 cups of very warm water with the 3 tablespoons of dry yeast and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Let sit.
- In a very large hand mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of olive oil, 1 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of salt and 6 eggs. Then add 4 cups of bread flour.
- Whisk yeast mixture. Alternate adding 9 cups of bread flour with the yeast mixture into the large hand mixing bowl (from second step). Knead the dough. After it is well kneaded, spray top of the dough with non-stick cooking spray. Cover with a large bowl and let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and let it rise for an additional half hour.
- Knead in 1 cup bread flour and add more flour as needed. Shape into loaves on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or in loaf pans. Cover and let rise for a half hour.
- Take Challah with a Bracha!
- Brush with egg and top with seeds. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
Chumie’s Challah Recipe
An original recipe which wins the Best Challah Award, hands down! Try it and you’ll agree!
- 4 1/2 cups very warm water
- 3 tablespoons dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 6 eggs
- 14 cups of bread flour
Difficulty: Medium | Cook Time: 3 hours | Credit: Chumie Vann